Sunday, October 10, 2010

Economics 101


John Reed: Profits.

John Reed
: All right, Miss Bryant, do you want an interview? Write this down. Are you naïve enough to think containing German militarism has anything to do with this war? Don't you understand that England and France own the world economy and Germany just wants a piece of it? Keep writing, Miss Bryant. Miss Bryant, can't you grasp that J. P. Morgan has loaned England and France a billion dollars? And if Germany wins, he won't get it back! More coffee? America'd be entering the war to protect J. P. Morgan's money. If he loses, we'll have a depression. So the real question is, why do we have an economy where the poor have to pay so the rich won't lose money?

via: REDS

4 comments:

Giulia said...

Yep.

Although I hate him every time he spits out that speech (meaning that I watched it several times in a row this summer to see how Nicholson delivers it, just so.)I could almost imagine myself as Louise--almost. I wouldn't have been as gullible, I'm fairly certain.

I love the bits of real interviews. Rebecca West's snarky commentary makes me laugh out loud. Something about Louise Bryant's extravagant taste in clothes was so funny-mean. I thought, "Hey that's not nice." But of course, it wasn't her job to be "nice." Can you imagine being on the other end of an argument with her? Ouch.

Anyway, many people I knew/know do not see John Reed's changing positions. His desperation at the hijacking of his writing (or revolution at any cost). I've often thought composing an article titled "Don't Rewrite Me!" would be good, clean, cathartic fun. (There's probably an entire blog titled that...)

In middle of re-reading & re-watching The Remains of the Day & that goes along nicely with Reds. Oof...my head is gonna 'esplode.

So I'll go take a walk & let that occur outside. No trauma for the cat. (She's looking at me sorta funny & I wonder what her politics are.)

Cheers!

simon said...

has anything changed in the world?

Rachel Wright {The Inspired House of Wright} said...

Very interesting, and yes, I believe so. Is it shallow for me to say that I love the pic you posted? It sort of reminds me of great Gatsby. Very interesting blog to stumble upon by the way!

secretfragileskies said...

Thanks for your comments! Not shallow to love this photo. They were young and gorgeous. Loved the witnesses. Jack made a great O'Neill and "profits" still stands.