Wednesday, April 1, 2020

merely the absence of something else



"We cannot see the dark, but we can see in the dark. Black does not exist, it is merely the absence of something else. The eye perceives rays, we don't see objects, we don't see other people, we don't see the world, we see only the light that they reflect. I don't see you, only the light that collides with your body in the morning and ricochets back, to me. I catch it, all of it. We are born into light, and throughout our entire lives this is what we see, we pry open our eyes, and all we can see is light."


- Frøydis Sollid Simonsen

from Every Morning I Crawl Out of the Ocean
link
the-night-picture-collector:
“I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important that what I can see.”
- Duane Michals 

No comments: